Tuesday 2 December 2008

A Semi Self Inflicted Awkward Moment

Sunday. The day of rest. Or as yesterday proved, the day of being made to feel like an absolute bell end for feasting on low budget cuisine.

Halfway through wrapping some christmas presents in my room, i decided to get some dinner. Due to my limited culinary skills i found myself once again torn between a pot noodle and a bacon sandwich. After a lot of soul searching i opted for the former and with a little help from the illustrations on the side of the packaging i was back in my room and ready to "chow down" within a few minutes.

After splashing soy sauce on the wrapping paper i thought better than to multi-task and so left the present wrapping until i'd finished the nutricious snack. I was now sat cross legged in the middle of my room with the door closed eating a pot noodle. There's no denying what a pathetic scene it was but who cares, nobody could see me.

That care free attitude lasted all of 2 minutes when suddenly the window cleaner appeared. I'd not experienced embarassment like it since viewing a 30 second snippet of the latest Nicholas Lyndhurst "comedy". Why he was working on a Sunday still gets me.

Darting out of the room didn't seem appropriate at the time and so i found myself adopting a sort of statue like stillness as if confronted by a T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Though rather than quaking at the prospect of being eaten alive i was instead terrified that the man may try to force some kind of interaction, perhaps by tapping on the glass and saying something like "having your dinner?" or "I like the beef ones"

Having suddenly became an exhibit in a museum of tedium, there was little i could do but watch my dignity fly out of the very window he was cleaning. Given that he's probably caught a glimpse of far more exciting things over the years i felt like a bit of a let down and couldnt help but think that i'd later be ridiculed by him when he challenges his family to "guess what i saw at work today"

After what seemed like an eternity he eventually climbed back down his ladder and the ordeal was over. I can't help but feel that we both came away thinking "oh well at least i'm not him"

No comments:

Post a Comment